Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hungry Girl gone wrong

One night, my roommate felt the distinct need to bake some carrot cake cupcakes.  Oh but these weren't to be just any cupcakes, no this was the recipe from the Hungry Girl cookbook.  Well, the recipe uses yellow cake mix and canned pumpkin to create this supposed tasty treat.  However, as luck would have it Kroger was fresh out of canned pumpkin.  July isn't the best time to make a pumpkin pie it turns out.  So, after mulling up and down the aisles for many minutes, we mulled over possible substitutes. Not liking carrot cake, I was of no great help.  At which point, she suggests sweet potatoes.  Not finding any sweet potatoes on the shelves either, my roommate heads towards the baby food aisle.  She suggests using the baby food version of sweet potatoes.  I just shake my head, not seeing the point in arguing.  But then it gets creepy, as she starts looking for other types of baby food.  Finding a can of bananas that is apparently very appetizing, she buys that too.  Breakfast for tomorrow, check!  So then it is time to head home, and let the baking commence.  After a short time the cupcakes come out of the oven, smelling nasty, and looking just the same.  She eats one, declares the delicious and offers me one as well.  Being polite I accept, only to take a bite and spit it out when she isn't looking.  It tasted similar to the cotton balls used by dentists.  She places them all on a plate, and leaves them on the table.  A few days later they were still sitting on the table when she left for vacation.  Two weeks later when she returned, they were still in the house, I had just moved them to the fridge.  I couldn't throw them out.  My mother pointed out that if I did that, she might think I liked them and had eaten them instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment